Sunday 24 March 2013

"When someone remarked in his hearing that he had lost an eye in the Civil War, he said, 'I prefer to remember that I have kept one.'" - Gilead.

So today has been a pretty lazy Sunday. So much so in fact that I've just realised I haven't even left the house! I spent the day catching up on reading for uni, but as I have the attention span of a baby goldfish I didn't manage to stick to the one book (Triomf) that I talked about yesterday. So after reading a substantial amount of that I moved on to a book for my other module (21st century literature) called 'Gilead' by Marilynne Robinson.




I can't really comment too extensively on it yet as I'm only a little way through it but after the chaotic events of Triomf I'm finding it quite a relaxing read... It is about a father who, when he realises he is coming towards the end of his life, begins writing a letter to his young son, with the intention that he will read it when he is older. The idea that one can still be present in another person's life even when dead it is an interesting concept, and this combined with the contrast of young, old, past and present (the letter being written in 1956 but the novel published in 2005) renders it (so far) an intriguing read. The above quote really sprung out at me for its positivity :)


Oil paints and mixer pot

After a whole day of reading (apart from the hour spent tidying/cleaning my ever-messy room) I was feeling a little fidgety, so I thought I would do a little painting. Here are a few quick little sketches I did with some oil paints that I bought really cheaply from 'Tiger' the other day. The brushes were a bit rubbish and kept splaying apart, but then what can you expect for £2! Plus they were actually meant for watercolours and not oil paints so I guess its my fault for not reading the packaging properly, anyway here they are :)




Oh, I also applied some individual false eyelashes with some new semi-permenant glue I bought from e-bay today, I'm going to see how well they stay on and I'll take a photo and let you know if they lasted at least the night tomorrow! 

Until then, Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nessa :)
      Your blog also looks really great!

      Delete